3 tablespoons chilli sauce
4 tablespoons light soya sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons white vinegar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 bottle tomato ketchup
600 ml water
10 cloves garlic
20 shallots/small onions
1 piece (mid-sized) ginger
4 tablespoons cornflour
8 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons oil
2.5kg crabs, cleaned and cut into pieces*
1. Mix the ingredients for the sauce together in a bowl.
2. Pound the ingredients for the seasoning together in a pestle and mortar to a fine paste**
3. Blend the cornflour and water together for the thickening sauce.
4. Heat the oil in a wok and fry the seasoning ingredients until fragrant. Add the crabs and fry until the crabs just turns red.
5. Add all the sauce and stir-fry until everything is combined.
6. Cover with a lid and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes without removing the lid.
7. Add thickening and stir well. Add beaten egg, mix throughly with the crabs and remove to a serving plate. Serve immediately.
*Remember to crack the claws
**If ground or blended in a food processor, it will taste different/unauthentic
(I am very lucky to inherit Mother's pestle and mortar which has not failed me all these years, it is one of the best which I doubt is available now)